Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Philosophy explored...

I think that who I am definitely influences my teaching philosophy.  I never realized how important critical thinking is to finding out more about oneself.  I have learned so much more when I have the time to really think about things, wonder, or ask myself questions.  Critical thinking provides a path to making connections.  These connections often create emotion which really allows one to soak up information.  By creating personal connections or interest, students will understand, which I believe, is the core to learning.

This part of my philosophy is somewhat connected to creating empathy in my students.  If students develop good perspective-taking abilities, they will also be able to better understand through those abilities.  For example, if learning specific history, it really helps to be able to see through someone else’s eyes and imagine what it would be like.  Creating will not only make strong emotional connections, but can also help students socially with their communication skills.

Another ability I think all students should encompass is the ability to work independently, and furthermore, feel confident that they can succeed on their own.  Unfortunately, when your mistakes are either pointed out often, or other students make negative comments towards you, it can make one think, “Well, what’s the point?”  There are a few students in my class who are always saying, “It’s too hard…I don’t understand…I can’t do this!”  These are the worst, most irritating comments I can possibly hear, well…when I can infer that these comments are not genuine.  I have worked with these students multiple times.  They always know how to do the work.  And I am not the kind of person that just gives people the answers.  I may ask someone questions that guides them to finding the answer, but I want everyone to be able to find answers on their own.  I even do this with my other half…which irritates him incredibly.  I can’t help it though, that is just how I have always been. 

To add to my previous thoughts, these kiddos are also troubled by other students.  I notice that they are always being complained about, picked last,etc.  I wonder if this is contributing to their chronic troubles with motivation and confidence.  Because of this, I always praise them and make their successes a big deal.  Usually it ends with me saying something like, “See, I told you that you could do it!  You just need to have faith in yourself.”  I hope that after much repetition of this, it will help.  I want every student to know that I not only have high expectations, but faith that they can achieve them.  I wonder if my childhood has a little to do about this.  I felt indifferent in grades school because my family was extremely poor.  I was often teased about because of this, which surely tested my self-confidence.  In return, I grew up extremely shy.  For anyone who I wasn’t acquainted with until after high school, they would possibly argue with me about that statement.  These days, I would say I am loud and that people wish that I came with a remote.  Anyhow, I really feel for these kids and want them to feel like I honestly care about their success.

All in all, there are many things from my experiences in life that have contributed to my philosophy of teaching.  I have been challenged many times growing up, possibly much more than others.  I wouldn’t want others to feel sorry for me if they know about any of those challenges I faced.  I am happy for these things happening.  Being challenged really allows you to think about what is really important.  No one will succeed independently if they are always handed everything.  We need to be challenged and responsible for learning on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment